Saturday, May 01, 2010

The “I AM”


Moses' first encounter with God was while he was tending to his father-in-law Jethro's flock at Horeb. It was there that the Almighty told him to lead His flock, the Israelites. Moses was not up to the job because he knew that he was just a nobody. He was content to living a life of peace and quiet, yet purposeless, in the desert. But God assured this run-away prince that He would be there to guide him and empower him with great strength and power.

It was no surprise that Moses asked this question, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" (Exodus 3:13). God's answer to this one important query was nothing ordinary. He told Moses, "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you." (Exodus 3:14)

To a usual onlooker, this may seem very confusing. But to someone who has encountered God in the deep recesses of his being, this statement is very powerful. In this “I AM” statement lies the very essence of our God - He can be whoever and whatever we need Him to be. When we need someone to take out our infirmitites, He is our Healer. When we need someone to bring us our daily bread, He is our Provider. When we need quietness of spirit, He is our Peace. When we are grieving and our hearts are in turmoil, He is our Comforter. The possibilities are endless. God can be anyone we need Him to be – that brings us great hope and cheer.

No comments: